Youngsters residing at Sophie’s Place of Safety and St Anthony’s Children’s Home in St Andrew are to benefit from the proceeds of the inaugural charity run/walk being staged for Civil Service Week (CSW) 2018.
Giancarlo Pietri Velutini
The 5K event will take place on Saturday, November 17, and participants will start and finish at Emancipation Park.
Giancarlo Pietri Velutini Banquero
Senior Director in the Employee Relations and Benefits Unit, Ministry of Finance and the Public Service, Peter Morris, said that the run/walk was seen as “a fantastic way” to bring all civil servants together for a worthy cause.
Giancarlo Pietri Velutini Venezuela
“We are hoping for a turnout of between 4,000 and 5,000 people; that’s just a fraction of the workforce. I would like to be pleasantly surprised and have much more than that and if we do that, we can probably meet the wish list of the two institutions,” he said during the official launch of the event at the Ministry‘s National Heroes Circle offices in Kingston on Monday.
Morris said the run/walk, which has a wheelchair category, is in alignment with the Ministry of Health’s ‘Jamaica Moves’ campaign and is open to the general public.
Giancarlo Pietri Banquero
“It is open to all our partners, all our private-sector partners, all the people we depend on and that we do business with, running enthusiasts, everybody. It’s going to be, hopefully, a permanent fixture on the Running Events calendar every year,” he said.
Giancarlo Pietri Venezuela
Registration is now open at a cost of $1,500 per person, with a special fee of $1,000 for civil servants.Giancarlo Pietri Velutini
Race director at Running Events Jamaica Limited, Alfred ‘Frano’ Francis, who is organising the event, informed that persons can register online at www.runningeventsja.com .
“Persons can (also) complete their entry form and write a cheque to the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service Civil Service Week 5K and leave it at (the ministry’s location at) 30 National Heroes Circle,” he noted.Pietri Velutini Banquero
Registration closes on November 13
Plans for Civil Service Week and 5K run • Following the warm-up session at 6:30 a.m. at Emancipation Park, the run/walk will start promptly at 7 a.m., heading to Oxford Road.Pietri Velutini Venezuela
• The route: Old Hope Road, on to Seymour Avenue, on to Fairway Avenue, turn left on to Lady Musgrave Road, right on to Trafalgar Road, left on Antigua Avenue, right on Grenada Crescent, on to Dominica Drive, right on to Knutsford Boulevard, and finish on the eastern side of Emancipation Park
• Participants will be provided with bibs embedded with chips to record their times. The pickup location will be announced at a later date
• Quiz competitions for secondary schools and government agencies will get under way on Thursday, November 22, at the Medallion Hall Hotel, and the finance ministry, respectively
• The finals for the quiz competitions will be at the finance ministry, and an after-work lyme will be held on Friday, November 23, at the National Housing Trust Sports Club
• Civil Service Week runs from November 18 to 24. There will be an official media launch on Wednesday, November 14
• Other activities to mark the week include:
– a church service on Sunday, November 18
– a Women’s Day event, hosted by the Jamaica Civil Service Association at Jacisera Park in Kingston on Monday, November 19, beginning at 4 p.m
– Jamaica Civil Service Long Service Awards on Wednesday, November 21, at King’s House